Chanel’s Spring 2016 Haute Couture Show
Karl Lagerfeld presented his Spring 2016 Haute Couture collection for Chanel in the Grand Palais today. Staged in a faux garden, the collection spanned practical daywear, exotic eveningwear, and even a look for men. Find the 10 talking points of the show below.
1. An outdoor scene was built inside the Grand Palais to function as a runway complete with grass and a blue sky. Models emerged from a central wooden house and walked along inlaid wood paths through the grass.
2. Cara Delevingne sat in the front row holding a dog in her lap, giving Lagerfeld’s Birman cat, Choupette, a run for her money as cutest Chanel animal. Choupette was at the show too, in spirit at least, appearing as a picture inside Lagerfeld’s tiepin.
3. One prominent silhouette of the collection was a long, lean skirt, cut mid-shin and worn with a rounded sleeve jacket. Accompanying many of these ensembles was a loosely tied belt bag for an iPhone or tablet.
4. Every look featured the same shoe silhouette in different colors: a round-toe cork wedge with a curved heel.
5. How else to make a dramatic entrance but in a Chanel Haute Couture cape? A swath of evening looks came with translucent sparkling capes trailing behind them.
6. Model best friends Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner both walked in the show.
7. Karl Lagerfeld’s male muse Baptiste Giabiconi walked the runway in a golden tweed jacket and patchwork trousers.
8. As the bride, Mica Arganaraz wore a blush, textured floral column dress with a long train topped off with a very wedding-appropriate hoodie.
9. Models’ hair was swept into a wide twist along the back of their heads—a “Chanel croissant,” per hairstylist Sam McKnight—while their beauty look consisted of two elongated strokes of eyeliner framing the eye.
10. At the end of the show, the wooden slats of the house opened to reveal a tableau of models on different levels. Lagerfeld emerged in the front holding hands with his bride for a brief moment.
So cute and quirky!