Raw Disney Sketches
I love everything Disney.. so seeing some of the original sketches come to life in these short clips is amazing! Hope you love as much as me!
1. Peter Pan, from the 1953 film of the same name.
Disney’s Milt Kahl supervised the animation of the Peter character, and later admitted animating characters who fly around and suspend mid air was tricky indeed.
3. Shere Khan from The Jungle Book, 1967.
Ken Anderson led the character design for Khan, who was made to resemble his voice actor, George Sanders.
4. Robin Hood, from Robin Hood, 1973.
Ken Anderson again worked on this, as did Milt Kahl, who changed some of Anderson’s designs slightly.
5. Ariel, from The Little Mermaid, 1989.
By this point, Disney had individual animators working on each character, with Glen Keane and Mark Henn looking after Ariel. Update: A commenter points out that this is in fact the work of a student copying Keane’s work. It’s a pretty good effort, we’d say.
6. The Beast (Benson) from The Beauty and the Beast, 1991.
The first Disney film to the use the Computer Animation Production System, developed by Pixar, Beauty and the Beast had a huge team of animators and effects artists, including 21 people just to animate the Beast.
7. Scar and Rafiki from The Lion King, 1994.
The first Disney film to be based on an original story, again this had a legion of animators working under art director Andy Gaskill.
8. Tarzan from the 1999 film, Tarzan
An incredible 57 people are listed as animators just on the Tarzan character.
9. Tiana, from 2009’s The Princess and the Frog.
Tiana was animated by Tim Allen, who has also worked on Fantastic Mr Fox and Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride.
10. Rapunzel, from 2010’s Tangled.
Glen Keane was the directing animator for the Rapunzel character.
Shows how much work goes into each character and film.. impressive stuff!